Yes, they really do. Getting used to wearing masks and even seeing them in public has been an adjustment for us all, but seeing that COVID-19 is here to stay for a while longer, it’s important that we know the roles and benefits that wearing masks play when you’re out and about.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland sheds some light on masks and their importance.
How Do Masks Work?
Masks slow the spread of COVID-19 by reducing airborne respiratory droplets. What this basically means is that potential viral particles will largely be contained in each person’s mask.
When these particles are contained, it limits the amount of respiratory droplets in the air, which decreases the chances of people contracting COVID-19. So even if you know you don’t have the virus, wearing a mask can only help.
Other Benefits of Wearing a Mask
- Can be effective protection when social distancing isn’t possible
- Prevents those infected from spreading the virus
- Reduces your own chances of getting COVID-19 and other illnesses like the flu
What Kind of Mask Offers the Best Protection?
An N95 mask technically offers the most protection as it filters out 95% of air particles, but the CDC doesn’t recommend these for public use because they’re critical supplies for healthcare workers.
That leaves us with cloth masks and surgical masks. The best homemade cloth masks actually achieved better filtration (79%) than surgical masks (62 to 65%) in a peer-reviewed study at the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine. When purchasing or making a cloth face covering, use multiple layers of a sturdy fabric for most effectiveness.
Other Ways to Avoid Spreading COVID-19
- Remain home as much as possible.
- Frequently wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- If you don’t have access to soap and water, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid crowds and large gatherings.
- Steer clear of anyone exhibiting symptoms.
Having COVID-19 symptoms or been exposed to someone with the condition? Schedule your test at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland.