What Can I Do to Prepare My Kids? Education is going to look different for a while still as we continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. But that doesn’t make it any less important. There will be new regulations and procedures in place to help promote safety and wellness. Your kids will be more likely to handle those changes well if you prepare them ahead of time.
How to Prepare for Back to School
- As a parent, carefully review the changes and procedures.
- Once you know the changes, talk them through calmly and positively with your kids.
- If masks are required, prepare your kids ahead of time by teaching how to wear a mask correctly.
- Take time to select masks that are appealing to your kids.
- Review proper handwashing and other basic hygiene habits.
What Else Can We Do to Prepare for School?Besides the new changes that will come with this school year, it also brings the same old basics. Before school begins for the year, it’s a good idea to have your child undergo a wellness check to ensure he or she is up-to-date on vaccinations and in good health. There are also some other basic practices that can help keep your kid healthy and learning.
Steps to Stay Healthy at School
- Choose a backpack that has two padded straps and a padded back.
- Teach your child to wear the backpack over both shoulders to avoid strain.
- Make sure the backpack never weighs more than 15% of your child’s body weight.
- Reset your child’s sleep schedule to ensure he or she is getting the recommended amount of sleep.
- Choose healthy breakfast and lunch recipes and plan ahead.