It’s no secret that ear infections among children are quite painful, but there’s got to be something you can do to help your loved one feel better, right? There absolutely is!
Our AFC Urgent Care Cleveland team is here to provide some helpful info on ear infections and to walk you through how to get your child feeling back to his or her old self, so read on!
What Are Ear Infections in the First Place?
An ear infection (sometimes called acute otitis media) is an infection of the middle ear, which is the air-filled space behind the eardrum that contains the tiny vibrating bones of the ear. Children are more likely than adults to get ear infections, as nearly five out of every six children get sick with an ear infection before they turn 3 years old.
If you aren’t sure how to tell if your child has an ear infection, we’ve listed some tell-tale signs of them below.
Tell-Tale Signs of Ear Infections Among Children
- Ear pain, especially when lying down
- Tugging or pulling at an ear
- Trouble sleeping
- Crying more than usual
- Trouble hearing or responding to sounds
- Loss of balance
- Fever of 100 F or higher
- Drainage of fluid from the ear
- Loss of appetite
How Can I Ease My Child’s Ear Pain?
Our first suggestion is to take your child to the doctor to avoid other health complications that can arise when an ear infection is not treated promptly. Your healthcare provider will likely prescribe antibiotics to ease the pain and eliminate the infection over time.
If you are unable to get medical attention for your child quickly, we’ve listed some ways to reduce his or her pain below.
Home Remedies for Ear Pain
- Warm compress. Holding a moist compress over your child’s ear for about 10 to 15 minutes can help reduce pain.
- Acetaminophen. If your baby is older than 6 months, acetaminophen may help relieve pain and fever.
- Warm oil. If there is no fluid draining from your child’s ear and a ruptured eardrum isn’t suspected, place a few drops of room temperature or slightly warmed olive oil or sesame oil in the affected ear.
- Elevate your child’s head. Slightly elevating your child’s head will improve sinus drainage.
If your child is experiencing an ear infection, our AFC Urgent Care Cleveland team can help! Don’t hesitate to visit us today.