normal fatigue and a sign of sickness.
What Is Fatigue?If you are feeling tired, have reduced energy, lack motivation, or have physical or mental exhaustion, that’s known as fatigue. Although everyday life can cause some level of fatigue at the end of the day, persistent or excessive fatigue could be a sign of a medical condition.
Causes of Fatigue
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Jet lag
When Should You See a Doctor for Your Fatigue?It is completely normal to feel tired from time to time. However, if you are starting to feel tired more often than not with no real reason behind it, it is time to speak with a physician who can see if there is an underlying cause to your fatigue.
How to Avoid Fatigue
- Avoid coffee, tea and other caffeinated drinks, especially late in the day.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise most days of the week.
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Manage stress.
- Stop smoking.