What Is a Urinary Tract Infection? A urinary tract infection occurs when any part of the urinary tract (from the kidneys to the bladder) is infected. Depending on the severity of the UTI, a person may experience significant pain or discomfort.
Symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Cloudy urine
- Constant urge to urinate
- Pelvic pain
- Urine appears to have blood in it
- Strong odor in urine
When Will My UTI Go Away?How long a urinary tract infection lasts depends on the severity of the infection, as well as how promptly treatment begins. Fortunately, a UTI usually begins to clear up within 24 hours of treatment.
Treatment for Urinary Tract Infection
- Take antibiotics as prescribed.
- Drink 100 percent cranberry juice as recommended by doctor.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Apply a heating pad to the pelvic area.
- Take OTC or prescription pain relievers if needed.