What Is a Sore Throat? The medical term for sore throat is “pharyngitis.” Depending on its cause, a sore throat can range from scratchy and annoying to severe and extremely painful. And you’re likely to also experience other symptoms along with your sore throat.
Symptoms Associated With a Sore Throat
- Pus in throat
- Swollen, tender lymph nodes
- Throat redness
How Is a Sore Throat Diagnosed?During a medical examination, a throat culture and blood work might be taken in order to help rule out strep throat. Fortunately, there are home remedies you can perform to help ease the symptoms of sore throat, which usually lasts five to seven days. If your sore throat lasts longer or starts growing worse after three days, seek medical attention at our urgent care clinic.
Home Remedies for a Sore Throat
- Avoid air pollutants and other irritants.
- Drink plenty of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic fluids.
- Gargle with warm salt water.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Stop smoking.
- Try throat lozenges or other OTC products.
- Use a humidifier to increase the moisture level indoors.