Now more than ever, many Americans find themselves stuck behind a computer screen for the majority of the day. During the coronavirus pandemic, the number of Americans suffering from screen fatigue has skyrocketed.
A survey showed that 53% of Americans feel burnt out on screens. It’s no wonder that they do since the average person spends a whopping 12 hours a day looking at a screen!
It goes without saying that such an increase of time spent looking at screens would have some negative repercussions like decreased physical activity. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland explains how you can stay active during the day.
How Is Looking at a Screen Negatively Affecting my Health?
Technology has brought along some wonderful benefits and has even allowed many people to continue working safely from home during the pandemic. However, there can be some negative effects of looking at a screen for a majority of your waking hours.
It is good to be aware of some of the below-mentioned consequences of screen time so you can work against them in the future.
Negative Effects of Too Much Screen Time
- Can lead to decreased activity and weight gain
- Can lead to mental and emotional health issues like anxiety and depression
- Can cause eye-strain and headaches
- Can reduce exposure to the outdoors, sunshine and vitamin D
What Are Some Creative Ways to Stay Active During the Day?
If your job requires time in front of a screen, it may be really difficult to get in the CDC-recommended 150 minutes of activity per week. Many of us just do not have a choice to spend less time in front of a screen.
However, there are some ways to sneak in a little activity here and there! Decreased physical activity is one negative side effect of screen time that you may be able to work against.
Simple Ways to Stay Active During the Day
- Stretch at your desk. Taking a few moments to release neck and shoulder tension can go a long way.
- Do arm circles.
- Stand up and do squats.
- Jog in place for a few minutes.
- Bounce on an exercise ball instead of using a chair for some of the day.
- If you don’t work from home, try parking further away or biking or walking to work.
- Take a short walk during your lunch break.
Here at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland, we really care about your health. If you have any concerns, walk in to see us today.