Who likes to get a shot? No one. However, vaccines are vital to keep diseases at bay and help us stay as healthy as can be!
Think you can put off your flu shot a little bit longer? Think again! Our team at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland wants to share why you need to get your vaccine sooner rather than later.
When Should You Get the Flu Shot?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is best to get the flu shot before the end of October. This allows your body the time it needs to build up antibodies before the flu season is in full swing.
Therefore, if you have yet to get your flu vaccine, be sure to stop by our urgent care center as soon as possible so that you can start protecting yourself against the flu virus this season.
Benefits of the Flu Shot
- Can keep you from getting the flu
- Can reduce the severity of flu symptoms
- Can lessen the length of illness if you get the flu
- Can reduce the risk of flu-associated hospitalization for children and older adults
- Can help prevent some serious medical conditions
Will the Flu Shot Give You the Flu?
The answer is a resounding NO! The flu shot is made up of inactivated virus, so you cannot get the flu from the flu shot.
It takes your body two weeks after the flu shot to build up antibodies against the flu, so in some cases you may get the virus in that time period. But that’s a result of flu exposure, not the vaccine.
Ways to Protect Yourself From the Flu
- Get an annual flu vaccine early in the season.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Get enough exercise on a daily basis.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get plenty of quality sleep.
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces regularly.
Do you still need to get a flu shot? Be sure to stop by AFC Urgent Care Cleveland today! No appointment is needed.